Ace the Basics Then Shake Things Up
Helen Wetherley Knight is an IT strategist, entrepreneur & previous Director of IT at the Calgary Drop-In Centre. She talks tech in the service of social mission & creating new collaborations between the nonprofit, corporate and academic worlds to solve big challenges.
More from Helen in this episode:
- How tech captured her imagination as a child & as a tool to do things better as an adult
- How she and her team worked to solve big challenges under constraints
- Why innovators need to “ace the basics” and earn trust to do new things
- The surprising results from a new electronic admission kiosk at the drop-in centre
- Making mistakes and learning the operating systems of different worlds
- What’s similar and different between innovation in the corporate and nonprofit worlds
- How students, corporate volunteers & moms returning to tech are valuable resources
- Seeing opportunities in challenges
Thanks to Freesound.org for sound effects in this episode.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Android | Google Podcasts | RSS | More